(Nanaimo, BC, Canada)
Angel at the dog park
My Angel at 18 months
The damage to my finger!
Hi everyone..my name is Judy and I own Angel an 18 month old rottie..
Some of you may know us from Beban Dog Park..I would like to share my experience I had today at the park which almost cost me my girls life.. I am not exaggerating and hope this gets around to all dog owners & lovers in Nanaimo and everywhere.
Angel was wearing her chain collar and as we were about to leave her friend,a Pyrenees came and wanted her to stay and play.. I always tend to remove her collar and at this point it was on..They ran off to play and I did think about removing it but figured since we will be leaving in a few minutes..no big deal.. Well that decision almost cost me her life.
Within minutes there was what sounded like a dog fight and as I and others were running over I knew immediately that the Pyrenees’ mouth was caught in her chain.. Of course as he tried to free himself the bouncing and twisting of it was choking her out!! The more they tried to separate the tighter the chain was getting.. I tried ‘flicking’ it off his teeth and well we all know what injuries that can lead to. As my Angel was laying on the ground with her eyes starting to look confused and empty I envisioned her dying right then and there and somehow I found the strength to bear hug the Pyrenees and wrap my arms and legs around him while on my back and some ‘hero’ came out of nowhere and I can’t honestly tell you how he managed to free his jaw from the chain.
The whole incident was less then 2 minutes. Angel did exhibit some signs of shock when I got her home but is fine.. The Pyrenees to my knowledge did not lose his canine or any other teeth that I am aware of but will inquire more when I can get back to the park. Of course that won’t be until my injuries heal…. My right middle finger was almost amputated at the first knuckle and my index finger was torn. Both required stitches and at this point the extent of the damage is not known. My left hand has several puncture wounds and not much could be done for that. I can only say that the injuries I sustained were, to me, a small sacrifice in saving my dogs life and her friends teeth.
I would love to thank the gentleman who helped us, I’m not sure where he came from, and all the others in the park today…. from the person who held Angel while I tried washing away the blood, to the lady holding the tap on for me, to the one who called my husband for help and the one who locked up my car for me and gave me her roll of paper towel…. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. It is because of all of you that I got through this situation and have my baby here with me still.
I will be getting in touch with animal control to report this and find out what I can do toward having these type of collars preferable banned from being worn at dog parks. This type of situation possibly happening was discussed on many occasions by many at the park which is why I always remove her collar when we visit. However this is a perfect example of how it can only take a minute for the worst to happen..
I PROMISE you will never see Angel wearing this type of collar/chain again ever!!!
Judy & Angel…
UPDATE: I received a call from the dogs (Deuce) owner and I am so glad to say that he did not lose any teeth and has also recovered fine..Now my turn…
Thanks for sharing this frightening story Judy. It’s definitely one that every dog owner should hear!
I do want to point out here that chain or prong collars (although I’d recommend prong collars for big dogs) have a useful function and are safe to use for walking or training your Rottweiler. I always use prong collars in both of these situations.
BUT the risk factor for accidental injury or even death is there if you allow your dog to wear this type of collar at any other time.
From Judy’s story it’s easy to see how even a couple of minute playing with a friend could easily have had tragic consequences. Your pup or dog doesn’t even have to be with another dog to be in danger though….. if a collar like this gets caught on something he could choke to death within minutes.
Please NEVER allow your dog to wear a chain collar (of any type) when playing with other dogs, or even when he’s at home, in his crate etc. Save them for walking and training only, when you’re right there to supervise.
If you’ve never considered the dangers before, I hope Judy’s experience will give you reason to think about them now.
Thank God that Angel survived her terrifying experience, and I hope that Judy’s fingers heal 100% If by sharing her story even one pet can be saved from injury or death caused by a chain collar then the experience won’t be for nothing.
~ Sue from a-love-of-rottweilers.com
Judy has been successful in her campaign to get ‘correctional collars’ banned at two off-leash dog parks in Nanaimo! Hear all about it here… Yay!! We won….
Congratulations Judy, a great job. I’m sure it will be a blessing to all the dogs who love those parks!
Comments for THE DANGERS OF CHAIN COLLARS…..my story